Postby MadCat on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:17 am

... is it wrong that I find them absolutely adorable? <3 :mrgreen:
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Re: MECHA-CANDY-SUPAH-QUEEN-KITTYDRONEDRONES

Postby Dave on Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:54 am

Why would it be wrong?
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Postby jetstream on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:25 pm

I actually don't get it. Is this a reference to something?
jetstream

Postby trebuchet on Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:22 am

@MadCat: Please, adore away!

@jetstream: While not a specific reference of any sort it does embody several key references to Japanese anime culture in general.

1) The use of "mecha" juxtaposed with "candy" is a serious non sequitur. Expressions such as these are, however, a popular sentiment in certain parts of Japanese pop-culture.

2) "Supah Queen" is actually Super Queen written in a linguistic style that simulates how many Japanese speakers pronounce their "R"s when saying English words. This is primarily due to how English was taught in East Asia by teachers from England, not America.

3) The use of "kitty" is a reference to something specific, actually. Hello Kitty is so popular I think my fingers typed it before my mind was aware of it. If I'm not mistaken, Hello Kitty is one of many popular characters in Japanese commercial culture. She didn't come from some anime or manga tie-in. She was placed on a coin purse in 1974 and the rest is history.

4) Drones, as any beekeeper will tell you, are the only males in a beehive. Their sole purpose is to mate with the Queen so that she may produce offspring. This is a play on words on my part as Bianca and Helen are female and Super Queen is male. I'll admit this is probably the weakest part of this whole reference but I thought it would be clever nonetheless.

Look up Japanese kawaii culture and you can find out more.
"Dillon! You son of a bitch."
trebuchet

Postby jetstream on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:05 pm

Oh, I get the Kawaii culture, but in context it was a total non sequitur. That's why I thought it was a more robust reference to something specific, because all that Japanese cultural stuff doesn't really seem to jive with the Super Queen character's motif at all. I figured it was some kind of LGBT (extend the abbreviation as far as it's going these days) thing that I'd never heard of.
jetstream

Postby MadCat on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:00 pm

jetstream wrote:I figured it was some kind of LGBT (extend the abbreviation as far as it's going these days) thing that I'd never heard of.

Hmm... the farthest I've seen it extended so far is LGBTQI.... adding Q for either "Questioning" or "Queer" (I've heard both), and I for "Intersex". Sadly, most culture and media these days just treat it like "LG" and the rest of it gets ignored.
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby Dave on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:06 am

@MadCat
I talk to you via IM all the time, so you know my feelings on these issues are sympathetic... but I have to say that adding any more letters to "LGBT" will seem to get unwieldy and ridiculous :/
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Postby MadCat on Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:00 am

Dave wrote:@MadCat
I talk to you via IM all the time, so you know my feelings on these issues are sympathetic... but I have to say that adding any more letters to "LGBT" will seem to get unwieldy and ridiculous :/

Yeah, I would tend to agree with that assessment, mostly. I generally use "LGBTQ" because it's what I mostly saw in the organizations around me. But it would be nice to have an easier way to describe the umbrella of terms involved.

Or really, it would be nice to live in a 'perfect' world, where someone's sexual orientation and/or gender identity were a non-issue, and didn't need to be distinguished and set apart, because we're fully accepted as people, not still being forced to fight for our basic rights.

Until that day.... til all are one!

(+10 points if you get the reference)
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby Zephyr190 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:28 am

One day we can dispel with the "us and them" mentality and judge people on their personal merits. Ah that'd be lovely (incidentally, is anyone seeing a technocratic council forming? Shotgun minister for science! Or councillor, whatever), but we hoo-mans do seem to have an attachment to things that were relevant to us ten thousand years ago. One day, one day we'll get rid of that, along with a few others that bug people.

Unfortunately, I don't get the reference.
Zephyr190

Postby trebuchet on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:15 pm

Okay, I'll just chalk this one up as a "miss" and a learning experience. Thanks for the feedback. :)
"Dillon! You son of a bitch."
trebuchet

Return to Squishy Comics