Things I've learned about making comics

How should I be Photoshopping?

Re: Things I've learned about making comics

Postby Dave on Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:40 am

well, I work with my strips at 2400 pix wide, 300 dpi, and 12pt font. When I reduce the final strip down to 600 pix wide (squishy) or 775 pix wide (direman), it looks just about right.

Anything else I do I have to play it by ear.
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Postby MadCat on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:21 am

Groovay, tyvm. :D
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby Aranthos on Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:23 am

I have the fortunate ability to do all of my comics (when I actually do them) in the end resolution, since I have to lay everything down as vectors and effects, making sure that they 'work' at every stage. I could make them in a superhuge resolution, but then when scaled down things can end up looking illegible, oversized or just plain wrong. Personally I find it easier to work in the final size, but that's a result of me not using a pen and tablet.
Aranthos

Postby Dan on Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:50 pm

As a vector person myself I agree with Aran. It's easiest just to work at your final size especially when scalability is so easy.
*stab*
Well, I'm alright.
-Malcom Reynolds "Serenity"
Dan

Postby MadCat on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:12 am

Resurrecting the art thread! The black-and-white-with-crosshatching strip (#75, January 8, 2009)... after reflecting on it for a while, I'm not that happy with it, tbh. The crosshatching in the first two panels looks sort of haphazard, and possibly too dark, with not enough contrast on the figures. What do you think, any artists/art critics out there?
Also, the Eury in the last panel is a bit too... I'm not sure exactly what, but it makes me think of Mad Magazine and R. Crumb, and I don't really like that look very much. :( So overall I'm more dissatisfied with this strip than I first thought when I posted it. Also, black and white looks sort of sparse when not done correctly, I think, and I haven't quite figured out how to do it correctly yet. (other strips such as PvP and others I can't think of off the top of my head can do quite well with spot blacks, but I don't quite understand their usage yet, as much as I'd like to.
Granted, I was sick when I made it, so I'm not kicking myself as hard as I might otherwise, but I'd still like to get some pointers on what I can do better. Any advice? Or any artists I might check out for tutorials or inspiration?
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby Dave on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:54 pm

Things I've learned:

It's all in the details, or lack thereof. Even in a simple cartoon style, detail lines make all the difference in bringing something to life.

PNGs cut down on file size drastically... as well as visual quality... it's a trade-off, a balancing act even, between practicality and aesthetics.

Things that you think will look crappy end up looking pretty damn good. Maybe I didn't have as much time as I wanted, so I cut corners, and I'm unhappy with the idea, but in the end the strip looks much better than I imagined it would.

Things that you think will look good end up looking meh. Sometimes, even with all the time in the world, some strips will just not look as well as you'd like. Still, you have to gut through it and finish it (assuming it's not AWFUL. Then you just have to scrap it).
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Previous

Return to Artists' Corner