My "Interesting LBGT Articles" Thread

Discuss the comic strip!

Re: My "Interesting LBGT Articles" Thread

Postby Dave on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:45 pm

Which link?

Also, yeah, I can only speak for myself here, but I'm as straight as an arrow and I don't see anything wrong with LBGTs because, a) what they do has no negative impact on me, and b) LBGTs aren't hurting anyone. A lot of folks who see something "wrong" with LGBTs really mean "I don't like it, therefore it's bad".
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Postby blackfirefox on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:56 pm

The newest link submitted.
Kitty in a pudding cup~ So cute~ <3
blackfirefox

Postby Dave on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:16 pm

The Navy SEAL? Thanks, but that was Jayleia, not me :D
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Postby MadCat on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:32 pm

Here's one thing that frustrates me about all this LBGTQ bigotry... we're basically saying "Let us be ourselves and be in love," and they're saying, "No, you're not allowed to love! You can't be yourself - you're sick and wrong! If you won't hide your true self and lie about it, and spend your life alone or with someone of the "right" gender, you should just die!"

A) That's a horrible, horrible thing to tell someone, and the reason why LGBTQ teens are the group at highest risk of suicide - because life is hard enough without society telling you you're "sick and wrong" and don't deserve to be happy.
and
B) I don't think anyone has the "right" to tell someone that. But that's exactly what we're getting written into our laws and state constitutions - "You aren't allowed to marry the person you love, because your love is inferior to the "right" kind of love."
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby blackfirefox on Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:53 am

I agree MadCat. That's wrong and must stop at any cost. What gives them the right to tell us how to live? I think that's idiotic! What if we tried to turn the tables? They wouldn't like it so much, would they? I don't think so! Ugh...
blackfirefox

Postby MadCat on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Speaking of turning the tables, I always found this amusing and insightful-- turning around all the questions gay people often face from family/friends/others:

Heterosexual Questionnaire
A Lesson Plan from Creating Safe Space for GLBTQ Youth: A Toolkit

Please answer the following questions as honestly as possible.

1. What do you think caused your heterosexuality?
2. When and how did you first decide you were heterosexual?
3. Is it possible that your heterosexuality is just a phase you may grow out of?
4. Is it possible that your heterosexuality stems from a fear of others of the same sex?
5. If you have never slept with a member of your own sex, is it possible that you might be gay if you tried it?
6. If heterosexuality is normal, why are so many mental patients heterosexual?
7. Why do you heterosexual people try to seduce others into your lifestyle?
8. Why do you flaunt your heterosexuality? Can't you just be who you are and keep it quiet?
9. The great majority of child molesters are heterosexual. Do you consider it safe to expose your children to heterosexual teachers?
10. With all the societal support that marriage receives, the divorce rate is spiraling. Why are there so few stable relationships among heterosexual people?
11. Why are heterosexual people so promiscuous?
12. Would you want your children to be heterosexual, knowing the problems they would face, such as heartbreak, disease, and divorce?

*Created by Martin Rochlin, Ph.D., January 1977, and adapted for use here.

Why do heterosexual, cisgendered people get to go on their merry way and not have to justify themselves whenever they fall in love, but anyone who isn't is expected to live alone, unloved, and silent, or face shunning/assault/death? That's no way to live, and no one should force it onto others. Rrrgh. :evil:
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby blackfirefox on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:31 am

Oh my god sugar, that questionnaire is awesome! Thanks for posting honey :) We should ask people that lol

My thoughts exactly sugar, what gives them the right and everyone else gets tossed aside and shunned like lepers? I think it's criminal...
blackfirefox

Postby MadCat on Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:11 am

You'd definitely think that, wouldn't you? But no, "gay panic" and "trans panic" are legal defenses that people have used to avoid or mitigate murder charges, assault charges, etc..

Apparently they think it's okay to brutally attack/murder someone because they're one of those 'icky queer people'... because, you know, we're less valid than regular people, right?

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_panic_defense

and

http://web.archive.org/web/200709181418 ... _n13606961
Here's an excerpt:
But what seems a disproportionate response to some may still strike juries as partial justification for the brutal murder of gay men. In Kentucky, 23-year-old Josh Cottrell admitted beating to death Guinn "Richie" Phillips, a 36-year-old gay Rineyville man, and then stuffing his body into a suitcase. Taking the stand during his trial, Cottrell argued that he killed Phillips in self-defense after the older man attempted to force him to perform oral sex in a motel room. Beating Phillips unconscious, he claimed, was the only way to avoid unwanted gay sex. What else could he do?

Although they recommended a sentence of 30 years, the jury declined to find Cottrell guilty of murder. They convicted him instead of second-degree manslaughter in a case that could have brought the death penalty. On March 1 a judge sentenced Cottrell, a previously convicted felon, to 20 years in prison. He could be eligible for parole in about two years.

Why did the jury not return a murder conviction? "I think they were looking at my brother being a homosexual when they made their decision to pick the lesser charge," Phillips's brother, Greg, told a local newspaper.

Granted, it's not always successful... but the fact that people are allowed to use it at all, and that it's ever been successful, is just sickening to me.
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby blackfirefox on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:49 pm

How in the living Hells are we expected to believe it's okay to f***ing KILL someone because they're gay?! That's madness, preposterous, and other big words to express disbelief I know I know but can't think of that probably aren't allowed on this board! Regardless, this charge was lowered in Kentucky, damn Southern state... no offense to any southerners here... But they have a reputation for hating gays anyway so it's no surprise. But still... the guy was gay, that's all! How is that a goddamn defense?! B******s!
blackfirefox

Postby MadCat on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:41 am

... I'm confused, I thought I posted another link here a few days ago, but it seems to have vanished. O_o

Anyway, here's a different link I found today, about transphobia in the media (Well, one specific instance of it, but there are other cases linked and other related things to think about or study if you want to educate yourself on the topic; I read several of them and just depressed myself.) Sigh.

http://www.lgbtpov.com/2011/02/diego-sa ... lt-on-cbs/
MadCat
=^-^=

PreviousNext

Return to Everwas