My "Interesting LBGT Articles" Thread

Discuss the comic strip!

Re: My "Interesting LBGT Articles" Thread

Postby blackfirefox on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:21 am

I have no words for that. It's cruel and wrong. Not to mention the way Craig did that skit was very creepy and would indeed make things hard for those who truly are like that. That article alone depressed me. I hope things get better and that the meeting GLAAD has with CBS helps.
Kitty in a pudding cup~ So cute~ <3
blackfirefox

Postby MadCat on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:50 am

Me too, definitely. I think it's awful that there's a long-standing pattern of treating transgender people in a mocking and derogatory fashion. It's very depressing, especially when I think of all the people who have taken their lives as a result of cruel and hurtful treatment by the people around them, and the media that reinforces the idea that this is all they should expect... The idea that by their very existence, they are the butt of jokes or the focus of disgust or disdain; that they will never be accepted or worthy of being loved or treated with respect, like a human being.
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby blackfirefox on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:49 pm

They didn't even do anything to deserve the treatment they get. They exist. Is that so goddamn horrible to have to deal with? If you don't like someone, walk the hell away, not blast them in the media for everyone to see! That kinda reaction labels you as an asshole, douchebage, etc. I hate people like that.
blackfirefox

Postby sismondbang on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:02 pm

I highly recommend 'Savage Love - The Dan Savage Podcast' for anyone, regardless of sexual orientation.

here's a link of audio outside of itunes for it:

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Sava ... cast/Page/
sismondbang

Postby MadCat on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:30 am

Meh. I really can't get too interested in Dan Savage, having heard too much about his various prejudices: racism, biphobia, transphobia, etc... as well as his his disdain for survivors of rape or domestic abuse.

Here's a quick quote from http://bifurious.wordpress.com/2009/03/ ... columnist/

I did say in the wake of Prop 8 that if Dan Savage kept it up with the racism I’d have to stop liking him altogether. And while I haven’t seen that kind of overt racism from him since, a) I’m sure it’s still there, b) he’s been terribly offensive about bisexuals more times than I can count, as well as not having a good record with fat folks and people living with domestic violence, and c) this week we have some equally shocking transphobia. There will be no more “He’s a good sex advice columnist, but…” from me anymore. I’m flat out of patience and excuses. If anything, it took me too long.

The first time I'd heard of Dan Savage was from http://transgriot.blogspot.com/2010/03/ ... rikes.html, and I keep finding others to back up his general 'not nice' status, such as http://tigerbeatdown.blogspot.com/2008/ ... avage.html and so on. (Google "Dan Savage transphobia" and you'll see the sort of things I've been finding.) So overall I'm not really impressed by him, sad to say.

I'm actually frustrated in general with how often the Ls and Gs of the world are prejudiced and discriminatory against the Bs and Ts and Qs, considering we share the same acronym. (and are generally lumped in together by the people that hate us.) It's very disheartening.
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby sismondbang on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:20 am

Well I certainly don't condone that from anybody much less a Radio personality. I can't say I've heard anything that indicates this from his podcasts, but I've only been listening to them for a few months.

Thanks for the info, forewarned is forearmed.
sismondbang

Postby MadCat on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:46 am

Welcome! Thank you for bringing it up and discussing it with me! :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby MadCat on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:02 am

I found an interesting article at deviantArt while trying to find out if they'd updated their trans-discriminatory policies yet; it talks about language contributing to trans erasure, and is a good example of how a) gender and identity is really complicated and b) it's good to stop and think about it for a while, to realize it's not all as binary and simple as most people tend to think it is.

http://dmarling.deviantart.com/journal/36041755/
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby blackfirefox on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:26 pm

That article was very long and confusing... I read it but I'm not sure if I understood all of it in one read-through... o.o

I didn't know as much as I thought... and I thought I knew quite a bit... but holy shit... o.o
blackfirefox

Postby MadCat on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Same here... more and more, I'm coming to the conclusion that Labels are mostly useless. I've been trying to find the appropriate Labels for myself, and am realizing that in general it's better to be specific, because no Label is quite specific and descriptive enough, in some cases. I guess people really don't fit well in boxes, after all.
MadCat
=^-^=

PreviousNext

Return to Everwas