Eye Doctor

Discuss the comic strip!

Eye Doctor

Postby Dave on Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:15 am

Wow... The fact that I saw this strip and went "Oh, yeah, that makes sense" tells me I've bought into your "slice of life fantasy world" :D

A witch runs the local gaming shop.

A Poison-Ivy-like lady's a florist, and an elf is her assistant.

A tentacle... eye... thing... is the optometrist.

Um... do I want to know what the OBGYM doc is..?
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Re: Eye Doctor

Postby Panda S. H. on Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:31 am

It's correctly spelled OB/GYN.

I thought it would be obvious that an Oompa Loompa with an endless supply of chocolate would be in that position. :/
You play? I play. Good, let's play~! What are we playing? Hnn. grins
Panda S. H.

Postby Dave on Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:55 am

LOL
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Postby MadCat on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:15 am

Hooray! I have succeeded! Go me! I was hoping it would make sense. ;)
I'm very gratified to hear that it does. Thanks, Dave! :D

... and you know, I hadn't even thought about what would be an appropriate OB/GYN yet...
Of course, my first thought was "Tentacle Monster!" but really, the possibilities are endless...

Hmmm... Maybe a fairy or something else that's small enough to get down there and really take a good look, I suppose. lol :D

Also, I think I need to start making a Bestiary or something for Everwas, to make it more clear who is what species. The fact that a lot of characters have pointed ears seems to make people think they're elves, though I try to distinguish between differently pointed ears on different creatures, and give them some other visual markers.

I tend to use a lot of pointed ears, I must admit. :mrgreen: (to quote TVTropes.com:
In anime, it is not surprising to see characters with non-standard ears. While this also occurs in American television (particularly sci-fi Rubber Forehead Aliens), it is far more common in anime. Particularly, having other races that are mainly distinguished by their ears living on earth among humans.

The two most common types are nekomimi (cat ears — see also Cat Girl) and jigokumimi (literally, "hell ears" — long, pointed ears generally given to demons, sometimes to elves — it's also an idiom for extremely good hearing). A third standard ear type is "antenna ears," which can be seen primarily on Robot Girls.

Characters may sometimes sprout the ears of a particular type of animal (and perhaps a tail as well) when they are acting like that type of animal — dog ears for someone being loyal and obedient, tanuki ears for someone being tricksome, etc.

For jigokumimi examples, see the Pointy Ears subtrope.

Check out http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnusualEars and http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PointyEars for more info. I use a lot of jigokumimi.)

Elves, as you may have seen from the part of the story taking place in the Elven Lands, are about seven feet tall, with oddly colored skin, and have blank eyes and strange forehead-runes along with their pointed ears. So anyone you see that looks like that is an Elf.

Xerise has great big pointy ears, but she's not an elf... she's a half demon, half "something else" that no one has been able to identify yet, not even the parent in question.

Eurydice and Rissa have smaller pointy ears, and they're half demon, half dryad/nature-spirit thing that I haven't found the right word for yet.

I haven't exactly found the right term for Timothy yet, either (he's a sort of plant creature), but I'm working on it. He has pointy ears and greenish skin, which is somewhat elven-looking, but has distinguishable irises without pupils, and no forehead marking, and is human-sized.

... yeah, I make things way too complicated, don't I? lol XD
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby Panda S. H. on Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:23 pm

Aw. Well, at first I assumed that Xerise was Elven due to the excessive length of her ears. I can't think of much else that would have that kind of thing going on except for furries.

As for Timothy, I've been assuming that he was half-Elf ever since the introduction of proper Elves.

But really, who's to say that there can't be more than one "breed" of Elf?

Oh and, I'm going to have to ditch my chocolate idea in favor of Tentacle monster. End of discussion. :P
Panda S. H.

Postby Dave on Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:44 pm

I have to second Panda's suggestion here.
Dave

Postby Panda S. H. on Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:54 pm

The idea of (an alluded to) tentacle not-rape scene actually in existence is just too good to pass up. :lol:
Panda S. H.

Postby MadCat on Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:20 pm

But wouldn't making one an OB/GYN be like putting an alcoholic in charge of the liquor factory? ;)
Last edited by MadCat on Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby Dave on Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:27 pm

MadCat wrote:Hehe!
But wouldn't making one an OB/GYN be like putting an alcoholic in charge of the liquor factory? ;)

They're just turning their faults into a positive, productive employment opportunity.
Dave

Postby MadCat on Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:30 pm

Hahaha! XD
MadCat
=^-^=

Next

Return to Everwas