Penn State tragedy

Discuss the comic strip!

Penn State tragedy

Postby MadCat on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:49 pm

WARNING! This post is full of me ranting and cursing about a topic that has pissed me the hell off. It's all my personal opinion, and I wanted a chance to vent about it. If you don't like my opinion, feel free to stop reading.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Okay, so I'm a little slow on the latest news. I tend to avoid it a lot of the time, because it depresses me horribly. But I started hearing things about "Penn State" and "Joe Paterno" and "molestation" and "rape" so I had to at least start looking into what was going on there.

So I found this article here: http://news.yahoo.com/joe-paterno-fired ... 30177.html

What I'm understanding so far is, there's this disgusting, vile waste of life named Jerry Sandusky, who abused at least eight young boys over 15 years. He deserves to be horribly and painfully tortured to death over a span of 15 years, in my opinion.

Now there are also some other guys being charged with things here.

"Athletic director Tim Curley and Vice President for Finance Gary Schultz were charged Tuesday with not reporting the sexual abuse to police and lying to a grand jury under oath during the investigation.

Paterno and Spanier have come under intense pressure because they were also told of at least one incident, but did not alert police. "

"The Pennsylvania attorney general said Monday that Curley and Shultz were legally required to alert police to the incident, while Paterno was only legally obligated to tell his superiors. But Paterno has come under fire for failing what police called a "moral obligation" to alert them to the crimes."

So everyone is upset because Paterno has been fired over this. They shouldn't be. He absolutely deserved it for his part in covering up this disgusting crime.

Because Fuck Yes he had a moral obligation here, and he failed at it. Losing his job (where he oversees and interacts with the same kids that were among Sandusky's potential victims) is the very least amount of punishment he deserves.

But I'm not as concerned about Paterno right now, because I was clued in to someone who made an even bigger Horrible Failure here, and deserves some punishment, starting with losing his position: Mike McQueary.

Here's a hypothetical situation. You walk into a locker room and find one of your colleages raping someone. What do you do?

That's right. You FUCKING STOP HIM. You don't just walk away and leave the helpless victim at the mercy of the rapist. You don't do absolutely nothing, walk away, and wait til the next day to report it to anyone. At the very least, you call the damn police right that minute. Mike McQueary is officially a Failure as a Human Being.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-10399373

And then I read more and discover that Curley and Schultz are also complicit, in covering up the rapist's actions, and deserve any and all punishment they can get.

"Ultimately, the only action Curley and Schultz took was to order Sandusky not to bring any children from Second Mile to the football building—an action that was approved by school president Graham Spanier. The indictment accused Curley and Schultz of not only failing to tell the police, but falsely telling the grand jury that the graduate assistant never informed them of sexual activity. Since no formal police investigation was conducted at the time, the identity and exact age of Victim 2 is not known. The only formal law enforcement investigation began in December 2010 when McQueary testified before the Grand Jury."

Fuck, what is wrong with people covering up the actions of rapists? The Catholic Church does it, apparently Organized Sports does it too. Seriously, what is with these people? They cover it up, they fucking lie to a grand jury about it, they let the bastard get away with it for years, let him victimize even more helpless kids who should have been able to trust the adults around them, the ones who were supposed to be looking out for their welfare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Sand ... se_scandal

I don't understand it. I don't understand how it's seen as "okay" in these institutions to cover the tracks of rapists, to condone them and let them continue on performing these horrible acts for decades; in the case of the Church, even transferring them to different parishes so they can start over with no nasty rumors and a fresh crop of victims. What. The. Fuck.
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Re: Penn State tragedy

Postby MadCat on Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:22 am

Heard that McQueary was finally placed on "administrative leave"... about time!
Found a good quote in another article:

While Paterno may have been at fault, there was no more egregious offender of morality and personal responsibility than McQueary. Upon witnessing what he believed was the sodomizing of a 10-year-old boy, he proceeded to walk out, call his father and leave for the night. No call to the cops; no attempt to stop the crime that was being committed.

Panicked? Shocked? The emotion is irrelevant. He acted cowardly and irresponsibly.

What is not talked about, but is also alarming, is that he would accept employment with a university that, upon hearing his allegations that Jerry Sandusky committed rape, never notified the authorities and continued their professional and person relationship with Sandusky. They merely took away his shower access.

McQueary has shown as much poor judgement as anyone not named Jerry Sandusky.

I disagree with their conclusion there, though. He has not shown as poor of judgement... he's a step below, a second-placer. Still above Paterno, and should have had more repercussions placed directly on him... I'm glad he's finally getting something, even if it's just 'leave'.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9334 ... hing-to-do
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Return to Everwas