Phoenix Down

Discuss the comic strip!

Did you realize that Phoenix Downs were the feathery DOWN from a PHOENIX bird?

OMG; I had no idea.
31%
Yes; it was obvious and you're a moron, Dee.
69%

Total votes : 13

Phoenix Down

Postby David Yun on Mon May 24, 2010 12:04 pm

This made me feel stupid.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Re: Phoenix Down

Postby Dave on Mon May 24, 2010 1:39 pm

My memory, such as it is, insists that the animation for Phoenix Down ('Fenix Down' in game) in the SNES Final Fantasy 3 is that of a bunch of red feathers being dropped onto the target. My "dumb" moment wasn't "OMG, Phoenix Down is Phoenix Feathers!", but more "Phoenix Down? But, they're feathers... wait... down pillow... phoenix down... OMG, DOWN PILLOWS ARE FILLED WITH FEATHERS!"
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Postby Yino on Mon May 24, 2010 4:47 pm

I didn't know either. But in my defense, I didn't know what a down pillow was.
Yes, that means it passed quite a while between reading the comic and getting it.
<insert signature>
Yino

Postby David Yun on Tue May 25, 2010 12:47 am

Yeah...

DOWN –noun; the soft under plumage of birds

@Vargas - That's hilarious! Thanks for sharing your inverse stupidity. I feel slightly less sheepish now.
"I want me some glory hole." --Jerry Jones
David Yun
Site Admin

Postby MadCat on Tue May 25, 2010 3:16 am

You'd be feeling sheepish if it had to do with wool; since it's feathers, shouldn't you feel birdish? ;)
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby Jynexia on Tue May 25, 2010 4:57 am

I came back from the great beyond just to inform you that as my brothers intel gather for these games and the like I did not realize this...i was suppose to be the INTEL person....so if your a moron we are handicapped together...though i don't know how much comfort that is. At least your not alone.
Jynexia

Postby Parsifal on Tue May 25, 2010 7:38 am

Dave wrote:My memory, such as it is, insists that the animation for Phoenix Down ('Fenix Down' in game) in the SNES Final Fantasy 3 is that of a bunch of red feathers being dropped onto the target. My "dumb" moment wasn't "OMG, Phoenix Down is Phoenix Feathers!", but more "Phoenix Down? But, they're feathers... wait... down pillow... phoenix down... OMG, DOWN PILLOWS ARE FILLED WITH FEATHERS!"

I also saw this particular animation. Since I started my Final Fantasy experience with FF III (Your VI correction can suck it;p) I didn't spend long in the dark.

I did have a moment of revalation much like Dave's, though. When I was younger I bought a book of 101 Elephant Jokes (The Scholastic Book Club was my friend). I enjoyed the book but there was one joke I just didn't get: "How do you get down from an elephant? You don't, you get down from a duck." This just seemed nonsensical and impossibly absurd. Over the years that joke would pop up here and there, baffling me to no end. I finally had enough and actually sat down to figure this out.
Parsifal

Postby Dave on Tue May 25, 2010 7:49 am

Parsifal wrote:
Dave wrote:My memory, such as it is, insists that the animation for Phoenix Down ('Fenix Down' in game) in the SNES Final Fantasy 3 is that of a bunch of red feathers being dropped onto the target. My "dumb" moment wasn't "OMG, Phoenix Down is Phoenix Feathers!", but more "Phoenix Down? But, they're feathers... wait... down pillow... phoenix down... OMG, DOWN PILLOWS ARE FILLED WITH FEATHERS!"

I also saw this particular animation. Since I started my Final Fantasy experience with FF III (Your VI correction can suck it;p) I didn't spend long in the dark.

I did have a moment of revalation much like Dave's, though. When I was younger I bought a book of 101 Elephant Jokes (The Scholastic Book Club was my friend). I enjoyed the book but there was one joke I just didn't get: "How do you get down from an elephant? You don't, you get down from a duck." This just seemed nonsensical and impossibly absurd. Over the years that joke would pop up here and there, baffling me to no end. I finally had enough and actually sat down to figure this out.

When I was a kid, my understanding of pillows was that they were either filled with cotton or with feathers. Either way, a pillow was a pillow. Growing up in a Spanish speaking household, I didn't know that there was an English word for feathers other than... well... FEATHERS, but I did hear of "down" pillows. My young mind figured they were somehow "special" or "fancy" pillows of some kind. Then I got my hands on FF3, saw "Fenix Down", saw the feathers, then it clicked: Down equals Feathers! AHA! I SMRT KID!
Last edited by Dave on Tue May 25, 2010 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Postby Dave on Tue May 25, 2010 7:50 am

David Yun wrote:Yeah...

DOWN –noun; the soft under plumage of birds

@Vargas - That's hilarious! Thanks for sharing your inverse stupidity. I feel slightly less sheepish now.

No problem :D Funny's funny, and we all have stupid moments.
Dave

Postby Kodi on Tue May 25, 2010 8:52 am

Oddly enough, I played FF3 alot as a kid, and the feathers and the word down never clicked then (I was... young at the time.) and this shameful ignorance continued through 7. Only when I played Final Fantasy 8 and found an item called "Phoenix Pinion" did I make a connection with phoenix feathers then realized down was a feather and then had the Ohhhh... moment. Which is odd because I think Pinion is a much more obscure word for feather that I somehow recognized.
-Kodi
Kodi
Demon Overlord

Next

Return to The Adventures of Dave the Direman