Red Dead Zombies and Poker

Discuss the comic strip!

Red Dead Zombies and Poker

Postby Dave on Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:52 pm

You know, I don't like the idea of zombies in the old west either. Paul, Mike, and I were talking about this... and it just doesn't work. Zombies in modern day settings are terrifying because they generally come in huge numbers. Be they slow and shambling old school zombies, or the new brand of fast running super zombies, they're a very real threat because there's a whole bunch of them and only you and maybe a couple of buddies with very limited resources to fend them off. In the old west? Oh look, there's a couple of zombies over yonder (take aim, fire), well, that was interesting. Mind you, this is in addition to the "it just doesn't gel, feels lazy, I'm sick of zombies" arguments which I also believe.

But, this aside, I have another complaint; Multiplayer poker and liars dice expansion. Paul and I were rather annoyed by the fact that this wasn't in the multiplayer game from the get-go. Now they're making us PAY for something that should have been there from day one? I mean, this is the old west. Playing poker with your buddies should have been a given just as much as having a shoot-out, robbing a train, and all other things that we have seen in Western movies, shows, and books.

Eh, I'll admit that I'm mainly ranting, as I'm more or less done with Red Dead Redemption, so none of these releases will have any effect on me, but yeah, hearing about this still annoyed me.
Interested in a Commission? Visit my DeviantArt Gallery (http://latecustomer.deviantart.com/gallery/) and leave me a note there.
Dave

Re: Red Dead Zombies and Poker

Postby Parsifal on Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:40 am

I've seen that sort of story work but you have to change the whole dynamic around. It goes from The Horde to more of a Monster in the Closet tale. The wide open plains are a little too wide open to properly convey the terror and urgency of outrunning a herd of undead (unless it's undead steers, those things are fast).

Usually it's someone going back to a reservation and finding things "too quiet". Or a small group of people trying to extract a treasure from a mine that recently had an accident. Or a town in a box canyon is cut off from the world when an infected train/wagon convoy/infantry regiment cursed by Indians, lands outside the only exit. The sense of being trapped needs to be inflicted on the protagonists for proper tension to exist. You wouldn't fear for their lives if the main characters had horses and a good view of the slow moving pack of zombies about a mile out on the plains. Just ride ahead of them an whittle the group down with repeater fire, right?
Parsifal

Postby MadCat on Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:44 am

I like the way you think, Pars! :) Those definitely sound like interesting scenarios!

Also, undead steer would be awesome. It's a Cattle Drive... of DEATH! *ominous musical sting*

Or perhaps it's the main characters' horses that begin behaving oddly one day... :twisted:
I want my job description to be: "gets paid to draw sexy ladies." :D
MadCat
=^-^=

Postby Jayleia on Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:21 am

Just a necro followup to the Cattle Drive of Death

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmxB2BwVufA
Jayleia

Return to The Adventures of Dave the Direman